The Rassemblement pour la laïcité (RPL or Alliance for Secularism) Questions the Parties
Quels engagements en matière de laïcité ? (What Commitments Will You Make for Secularism?), Claude Kamal Codsi for the RPL, La Presse, 2021-08-24.
In preparation for the upcoming federal election of 20th September 2021, the RPL put six important questions (abbreviated here) to the political parties:
- What will you do to recognize Quebec’s fundamental right to follow its own way of managing religion-State relations, as implemented in Bill 21?
- Will you commit to not intervening in the court challenge to Bill 21? In particular, will you promise not to support or finance in any way, directly or indirectly, the opponents of Bill 21?
- Will you commit to defending Quebec against the false, gratuitous and odious accusations of racism, discrimination, etc. coming from the rest of Canada, given that Bill 21 is not in any was discriminatory as it applies to all citizens and all religions?
- Will you commit to repealing advancement of religion as a criterion for charitable status?
- Will you commit to repealing article 319(3)b) of the Criminal Code of Canada which grants a religious exception to the hate propaganda law, thus allowing religious believers to incite hatred publicly with impunity?
- What do you propose to do so that legitimate criticism of religion will not be confused with hate speech?
Answers as of 7th September 2021
|Political Party||Responses (abbreviated) to the RPL’s Questions|
|Liberal Party of Canada||NO RESPONSE|
|New Democratic Party||NO RESPONSE|
|Green Party||NO RESPONSE|
|Conservatives will respect the decision of the Quebec National Assembly and not intervene in nor provide federal financing for court challenges to Bill 21.|
Replies to each of the six questions :
- Full details (in French): Website of the Rassemblement pour la laïcité (RPL).
- Press Release, 2018-04-24: AFT Denounces the Inaction and Dishonesty of the Federal Justice Minister Regarding Religious Hate Propaganda
- In the News: Government Rejects Petition e-763 Against Religious Exception in Hate Propaganda
- Our page: RPL or Alliance for Secularism