The organization Atheist Freethinkers is affiliated with two international associations.
International Association of Free Thought (IAFT)
The International Association of Free Thought was founded in August of 2011 in Oslo, Norway. It groups a large number of organizations from most of the world’s continents. Our organization AFT participed in the founding meeting of the IAFT, and all subsequent gatherings as well. Our delegate David Rand spoke at several of these events. Here is a list of these international meetings in antichronological order:
- IVth IAFT Congress, 11th August 2014, London, United Kingdom
- IIIrd IAFT Congress, November 2013, Concepción, Chile
(Talk given by AFT delegate: Quebec Plans to Adopt Secularism as Official Policy)
- IInd IAFT Congress, November 2012, Mar del Plata, Argentina
(Talk given by AFT delegate: Prospects for Secularism in Canada & Quebec)
- Colloquium, Beirut, Lebanon, 13th April 2012, in collaboration with the Association libanaise de philosophie du droit (ALIPHID, Lebanese Association for the Philosophy of Law)
(Talk given by AFT delegate: The Relationship Between Atheism and Secularism)
- Founding Meeting, 11th August 2011.
Atheist Alliance International (AAI)
Atheist Alliance International was founded in the United States in 1991, initially as Atheist Alliance. It became an explicitly international organization in 2001 and is now a global federation of atheist and freethinking groups and individuals.
In 2010, AAI organized, in conjunction with Humanist Canada, a convention in Montreal with the title Atheists Without Borders. Our organization Atheist Freethinkers grew out of a committee which helped organize the convention.
Among its many activities, Atheist Census is an AAI project. Here in Canada, Atheist Census Canada is an AFT project. Our census is similar to that of AAI but is limited to Canada and accumulates slightly different data. The two censuses are independent of each other, so we encourage you to participate in both.
- Letter from AAI to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, 2016-04-22
- Atheist Alliance International Condemns Brutal Attack in France, 2015-01-12